Thursday, June 04, 2009

Growing Up, Revisited


Really, did I need an excuse to paint another foal? This little guy is the colt I'm calling Spider until I hear differently - Clever's 09 baby. This painting is 5 x 7 oil on masonite, and somehow I was able to achieve that looseness I was looking for! Now if I could just remember how I managed that, so I could recreate it!

Tomorrow I will take a slight tangent from my theme, for the final jewel of the Triple Crown pARTy! This time Kim Santini and I have opened things up and invited others to participate. If you'd like to play along, please do! You can see the image an read the guidelines on The Virtual Party blog. All you need to do is contact one of us with and image of your completed painting to be included! At the very least, be sure to check in and see the results! You'll see my painting here tomorrow. As usual, it will be a challenge to fit it in, with the morning booked for trims for all the horses, afternoon needed to muck stalls of said horses, and a weekend art shot for which to prepare! We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Lovely! It is very nice and loose - haha - I have the same problem. Things start out loose, but then... oh, well... Love the foal and the constrast with the background - great painting =)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Oh what a darling....both painting and subject. My style has got looser as I've gone on and I don't know what the secret is other than not to think about it. Generally the more you think or analysis about something the harder it is to do. Off course it could also mean that as I've got older my eyesight's got worse lol

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Kathleen. And you're completely right, Elizabeth, about the not thinking thing! You literally have to not thing "horse" and think abstract shapes and colour/tone. Sounds so simple, why's it so hard?