Thursday, March 26, 2009

Canine Competition


Another new painting in the works today. I was hoping to get this one going in time for this year's Art Show at the Dog Show, but I ran out of time. This is a 6 x 8 oil on Raymar canvas panel, featuring an Australian Cattle Dog emerging from the tunnel on an agility course. I love agility - the dogs always look like they're having such a blast. While I've never competed in agility, I used to do it for fun with my Border Collie OTCh Maggie. We even did a fun Rally O (a combination of obedience and agility) match one time - I pulled her out of retirement to do a special Border Collie event, and the old girl pulled of a second!

What you're seeing so far is a very loose, very quick underpainting using Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White. The underpainting isn't quite finished yet, but it's quite close. It's refreshing to be able to work fast like this, not let myself think too much, especially after some of the more detailed work I've done of late. And making a foray back to dogs is always fun too! This one will fit nicely with the upcoming Canine Art Guild "The Pursuit of Happiness" online show, scheduled for June 2009. In the meantime, check out the current show, "The Company Dogs Keep." Be sure to vote for your favourite!

7 comments:

Kimberly Kelly Santini said...

This could almost be my Finn..... love the circular motion with the dog bulleting out - will be wonderful!! keep going! :)

Free Rein Art Studio said...

love the movement and expression already!

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Kim and Sue! Kim I toyed with changing the dog to a Border Collie, but I will stick with the Cattle Dog, promise! :-)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

You've made a great start can already get the atmosphere. Looks like he's yapping with the delight of it all and already looking for the next obstacle.

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Elizabeth!

delia said...

Love it! lots of motion...

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! You have been award the "Passion for Painting" award, stop by my blog and pick it up! :)