Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Visitor from the West


Today's horse comes to us courtesy of my friend, artist/photographer Donna Ridgway. Donna takes phenomenal photos that make me want to move to Montana every time I see them. Of course, she keeps telling me she and her husband Robert should move here to help me out with my farm! Maybe the farm could move to Montana? Really, what better place could there be for horses? My only question is, what's the closest racetrack? :-D Take the time to check out Donna's photos on her blog. She also sells reference photos for artists, and is ridiculously affordable.

This is another 6 x 8 oil on Raymar triple-primed cotton canvas, using the limited palette. I decided to put a little bit of a landscape behind this one, though I took out the foothills that were in the reference photos, only because of the way it affected the composition. When Donna sent me this photo, I told her I thought this guy would fit right in! I would love to see the rest of his face - he's got some pretty cool facial markings!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yet another repeat congratulatory comment from this side of the pond: great stuff
(Like the look in his eye.)

Donnaallen said...

I posted pics of this guy on my blog tonight, he has a spot on his ear, and the vertical stripes on his front legs...I wish he was mine. ha. Glad you had fun painting him, he turned out wonderful!

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Sheona! He's a pretty cool-looking horse!

Great, Donna! I'm going to have a look! I'm dying to see the rest of his face!

Linda Kay said...

It's wonderful! Great job--cute guy! love the painting