Monday, November 17, 2008

Starting Week Three!

I have to admit, today was the first day I found myself wishing I didn't have a painting to do - not because of my subject, but because I was dragging a bit! No good reason - it's just difficult some days to fit it all in. I had an appointment with the chiropractor, and some arrangements to make for a horse, as well as the usual barn duties. We're in that transitional state, weather-wise, I don't particularly like: rain last week turning to snow over the weekend (though no accumulation to speak of), and dropping temperatures not yet cold enough to freeze the ground. That means mud. And muddy horses. Bottom line - lots of extra work!

Today's subject is a friend's pretty little Morgan-cross mare. I had a bit of fun with the colour - such a flashy girl deserved a bit of brightness! It's fun to see where this limited palette can go. This one is 6 x 8 oil on Raymar triple-primed cotton canvas panel.

The "novel" (I use that term very loosely!) is progressing, of a fashion, though I'm feeling more like I'm just accumulating words than telling a story. While I've learned to paint in fits and starts if need be, I can't do that when I write, and it's certainly showing! Ah well...tomorrow's schedule is a bit simpler, so perhaps I'll be able to devote a bit more concentration to it!

Oh, just one more thing - the grey filly I painted Friday, Pleasant Mix? She was running *yesterday* and she won. Ha! Take that, superstitions!

No comments: