Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Keeping it in the Family


Today I'm introducing you to Monster's dad, Tejabo. TJ is 23 years old this year, though the reference photo I used was taken a couple of years ago. He's a son of Deputy Minister, and that's where I think Miss Monster's attitude comes from. Something about Deputy Minister line mares! TJ himself had a bit of a reputation when he was on the track - I guess he was pretty tough to deal with. I worked with him a bit before I bred my mare, and he had apparently mellowed with age.

I've been planning for some time to do a painting of Tejabo, from this photo, so this will may serve as a study for a larger piece. The light was quite soft, and the reflection off of his visible eye was interesting. His ears were a bit wonky, and though that's the way the photo was, I might have to change them to make myself feel better about it!

The specs: 6 x 8 oil on Raymar triple-primed cotton canvas panel, limited palette. Lots of glare coming off this, especially at the top - the white paint I used up there really reflects!

No comments: