Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Landscape Catchup



I'm determined to meet the landscape challenge, even if it means producing and posting less-than-admirable work. These three little pieces are each experiments in different ways, and what I classify as quick studies. Sometimes these things come off better than others. In the midst of everything else that's been going on around here in the past few weeks, well, let's just say, beggars can't be choosers! I have been working on my more serious pieces, and hopefully in the near future will reveal the results of some of that work.

Just a quick description of these three pieces. The little landscape is just on Fredrix canvas pad, and is using Kevin MacPherson's plein air palette (inside after dark in my studio, however!) of simply Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Thalo Green, Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium Yellow Light. I love the colours, though the painting was very simple and quick. The middle piece is a cloud study, done on gessoed birch panel, 8 x 10. The one thing about all this rain, we've had some pretty cool clouds! Again, just a quick study. The third is 5 x 7 oil on shellaced Masonite - the first time I have worked on such a surface. This one isn't done yet, but is done from some of the photos I took on my recent Saratoga trip. This horse and rider are on Clare Court, a sand ring type gallop on the backstretch.

On the farm front, our record rainfall this summer is causing a bit of havoc. Forgive me if I don't really want to talk about it! There's gotta be an ark around here somewhere....

No comments: