Thursday, January 17, 2008

More Monster Madness


It's been a while since I've done a new painting of Miss Monster. I edited the photo for this one ages ago - I always loved the dramatic lighting and her confrontational look. So very Monster! I'm working pretty large, 20 x 24 which is a nice change after some of the smaller pieces I've been doing of late. It's also a bit of a break to work on a single subject. At liberty pieces have always been favourites of mine...and Monster has always been a great model for those!

This is, of course, an oil painting. I'm not done the underpainting here, and I'm using a different palette from my usual. So far this is just Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White. There won't be a lot of colour in the final product - I'll be relying on the contrast and that in-your-face expression of my bold mare to pull off what I want to achieve!

For anyone who is viewing my blog for the first time, Monster is my now eight-year old homebred Thoroughbred mare. Her real name is Entertainingangels. Monster...angels...it's a long story!

No comments: