Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Working Holiday



It's quite amazing that I've managed to get away twice in a matter of three and a half months. The trip to Dubai actually made this week's venture possible. I'm in Lexington, Kentucky, taking a workshop with renowned painter Larry Wheeler under the auspices of the American Academy of Equine Art. Being self-taught, such workshops are invaluable but something I've rarely been able to take advantage of!

The theme for this workshop is the paintings of the Masters, be they equine or otherwise. While the first day I, almost by default, did a small study from a Munnings painting, yesterday I decided to copy a Monet landscape. Copying the paintings of the Masters is an age-old study technique for artists and I've been enjoying the exercise, albeit feeling as if I'm falling way short!



I'll post a couple of photos of what I've been working on, though you'll have to forgive me for the poor quality and lack of cropping. The little dark bay on the easel is my Munnings study -- not necessarily complete, as I did leave out several elements! The second is the Monet landscape.

Today I began trying to apply what I've been working on to a couple of new paintings. I'll save those for tomorrow!

No comments: