Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Muse vs. Muse: The Faceoff!


I was reminded today that I hadn't painted Monster yet this month, and she might be mad about that! Somehow I'm not sure my choice of reference photos is going to make her happy. The shot was actually from a couple of years ago, and I've already painted a few of the images from the same shoot. The other horse is Gladys, aka "Gladzilla." Gladys is big and athletic and flashy, and I've done quite a few paintings of her as well, though nowhere near as many as I've done of Monster. Still, Gladys has worked her way up to the number two muse around here, and I've always seen this image as the two of them facing off. Of course both of them better watch out, because Gracie has the potential to oust both of them!

This is 5 x 7 oil on Raphael linen panel, and my only deviation from the limited palette was a bit of Naples Yellow, and some of the leftover green mixture from yesterday.

Monster prides herself in being a mentor of sorts, though she's kind of an advocate of the school of hard knocks (like her life has been tough, or something!). In addition to her responsibilities here on the farm with Gladys and Jubie, she's been mentoring a young Holsteiner filly named Tia. This is her first attempt to work with someone other than a Thoroughbred, and I'm not sure how that's going to work out! Tia's adventures growing up are being documented on the Big Filly Adventures Blog. It's well worth a look, and has inspired a new venture by artist and Tia-scribe Lise LeBlanc which can be seen on her website. It appears Monster has been remiss in her duties, so I might have to have a little chat with her! Or maybe it's time to let Tia know Monster isn't always the best mare to take advice from! So much to do, so little time, eh Monster?

4 comments:

Karen McLain said...

Monster should be feeling happy tonight, a very nice painting Linda!

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Karen - she just won't be happy about sharing the spotlight with Gladys! :-D

LDWatkins said...

I love it! Lots of personality there!

Adventures With Big Filly said...

Tia is very happy to say that she is no longer afraid of monsters, now that has a friend called 'Montser'. She is taking her advice to heart, as well.