Monday, August 25, 2008

Saratoga Study ~ Paddock Eye, 5 x 7 Oil on Panel


Well, I'm not sure it's worth the hype, but this is the piece I've been wanting to post for a few days. It's been a reminder how hard it is to get a good capture of a smaller painting - one of those challenges I admit I haven't quite figured out yet! This little painting is 5 x 7 on shellacked masonite. It has an interesting gloss to it, which of course didn't help with the photography. I think I've found the scanner I'm going to order, so this will be one of the first things I test when I get it!

This painting is a quick study from a photo I took on my recent Saratoga trip. Horses' eyes are much portrayed by equine artists, but who can blame us? They say so much. I love the slightly wild look of this horse, the anticipation of the race before him. As someone who has accompanied many horses to the paddock, I know it can be a pretty stressful place - for both horses and handlers! Getting a horse from the barn to the gate sometimes seems to take longer than the months of training that precede race day!

One day soon I'll have to catch everyone up on some of the news I need to share, but in the meantime, this will have to do! One bit I'll mention here - next week, the Mural Mosaic's Le Cadeau du Cheval will be revealed at the Spruce Meadows Masters' Tournament. It's not looking like I'm going to make it there, unfortunately. There are more panels up on the grid now, and they've adjusted the colours. Unfortunately those adjustments have left my purple panel looking very black! Can't say I'm very happy about that, but on the plus side, my neighbour has been revealed - none other than a painting of William Shatner, Canadian icon. While I grew up with brothers addicted to Star Trek, my personal affection is for his "covers" of some popular songs, and the work he's done with Ben Folds (surprise, surprise!). If you get the chance, look for So In Love (with Ben Folds) or his cover of Common People. Too funny!

Okay, time to go feed the "kids!"

No comments: