Saturday, August 30, 2008

Return of the Muse


I finally put that final bit of work I needed to finish up this painting the other night. The Studio Tour is coming up, as is one of our local Campbellville shows, so I've been working hard to complete some of those pieces that are nearly done.

My working title for this piece has been "Emerging," which just might stick. This is 24 x 20 oil on canvas. And just in case you missed the earlier posts of this piece in progress, the model is the infamous Monster, my own Thoroughbred mare. I believe she was a four-year-old at the time I took the photos I used for reference on this piece. This is quintessential Monster for sure - since she was a baby, she's had this knack for boldly galloping straight at you. It's made for some interesting photo shoots! Can you say, chicken? Maybe that's what I should call the painting!

With September almost here, I'm seeing similar light in the mornings these days. As much as I'm not looking forward to a return of the colder weather, I just love this light this time of year - it creates interesting shadows and contrast which makes for dramatic paintings.

I finished another painting tonight. I'll save that one for another day!

No comments: