Friday, April 11, 2008

Rainy Day Activity


Cold, wet, windy....can you say, hibernation? The kids stayed in the barn today, so other than mucking out, playing with the babies (speaking of both yearlings and new babies here!) and getting a load of hay (in between raindrops) I laid low today. April showers, blah, blah, blah! I want the sunshine back!

We haven't had one of our EAG parties in a while, so when some new photos were posted by Sheri Gordon, I figured I'd take advantage of a break from my "serious" painting this week to do a quick little oil. This guy cracked me up. He reminds me of what I watch a lot of - horses "head-sparring" with each other. Jay and Gladys are particularly into this sport, though with them it typically ends up escalating! I have a painting planned of the two of them, so this was a good warm-up.

This is 8 x 10 oil on masonite panel, and took about an hour. The drawing could use some work, but I have to remind myself that's not the point of these exercises! I used only four colours: ultramarine blue, burnt umber, titanium white and unbleached titanium.

Well, this painting might have been quick, but cleaning brushes takes as long as a normal session, so I'd better go take care of that now!

No comments: