Thursday, July 14, 2011
Paddock School Study #1
With "Hush" on its way to Australia, I managed to get back to the easel today. As previously noted, studio time has been less than productive of late, and this week I've been more or less bumping into myself, trying to get back to things. I tidied up a couple of little foal studies, started a few small pieces, but have mostly felt as if I couldn't get out of my own way. Not a good feeling! Today, I decided I had to stop thinking so much, pulled out an 8 x 10 panel that had been prepped with shellac, and set to work, determined to complete something in a single day - or better yet, a single session.
While as a groom I admit I hated schooling horses in the paddock, I love the imagery of it. When I get there early enough on the card (typically permission to school is given before the first race or two), I always stop and watch, and snap a few pics. This is just another example of the work that goes on behind the scenes to prepare a horse for the races.
I'm actually (gasp!) happy with the result. I'm going to choose not to dwell on what's wrong with it, and instead go off and prep more panels with shellac, because it really lends itself to nice loose studies, and I find I'm craving those right now. Given that I've numbered this study, I'm hoping to produce more!