Monday, November 22, 2010

A Monster By Any Other Name...


I was just scanning through updates on Facebook, and smiled when I saw the most recent verse posted on "The Bible" page. It's the verse after which I named Monster, Hebrews 13:2. "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Her registered name is Entertainingangels, in case you didn't know that already. ;-) More accurately it came from a song by the Newsboys of the same name, and because of Jockey Club rules on naming, I had to take out the space to keep it to 18 letters!

Monster was merely a month old - and yet to earn that particular barn name - when I applied for and got approval on her name. I had no idea how appropriate the name would come to be. She was always a feisty filly with lots of attitude. Her "official" barn name is Javelin, which got shortened to Java, which morphed into Javamonster, just so you know the progression! I would laugh when the vet would see her halterplate and want to call her "Angel" and I would say, "Actually I call her Monster!"


Anyway...I do have a point behind this story! At ten, Monster still has lots of attitude. She can be a rather grumpy girl, though will instantly turn on the charm if she thinks there's a treat in it for her. She tends to rule whatever paddock she's in - don't mess with Monster! So when I think of her registered name, and that verse, the irony is not lost on me! She's not the lovable, sweet mare in the storybooks. I don't take any garbage from her, but I'm always aware that I need to handle her with patience, and mutual respect. Regardless of your beliefs, that verse offers up some very valuable advice. You really don't know who that stranger may be, so you can't afford to treat them with anything other than courtesy, can you?

And that is Monster's lesson of the day!

2 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

Argh...mis-moderated a comment and sent it off into cyberspace! From Juliet:

"I can't help it....anything about Monster makes me smile."

That's my crazy mare!!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I agree with Juliet Monster makes me smile :))