Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Work! In! Progress!
Please forgive my title - what I used to find annoying (bizarre web punctuation) I apparently now find amusing, and so I've used it for this post. The painting in question is one that I can only say I started by popular demand! So many people commented on the photo after I posted it on Facebook, and thought it should be a painting, and I had to agree. This is 11 x 14 oil on Raphael panel. What you see above is the completed underpainting. It's pretty loose, and I'm going to have fun playing with this as I begin the colour, because in order for this to *work* there will need to be an interesting combination of detail and brushwork. Hoping I can pull off what's in my head!
I thought I'd show you a couple of early stages, too. First one is the panel, stained with transparent red oxide, and the rough tonal drawing. For the underpainting I used burnt umber, ultramarine blue and titanium white. As you can see from the image at the start of the post, I've let some of that red toned panel peek through. I just like the effect, even though it will be covered, more or less, once I add colour! The underpainting has dried very quickly (thanks to some less humid weather, and an efficient dehumidifier!) so it won't be long before I get to start that next step.
For a diversion, tonight I believe I finished my first cow painting! I'll show him off after I get the client's approval. See you soon!