Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Seasons...Nothing More Than Seasons.....


Okay, so those aren't the real lyrics to the song. I've gotten back to another painting that's been on the back burner for a while, and I need to make a decision before I go any further. In my ref photo, these two foals were, sadly, in mud, thanks to a thaw - which, of course, will just not do for the painting! My original plan, you may have guessed, was to make this a snow scene, because that's what I'm really used to with babies around here. Now, of course, with a May foal, I'm re-thinking that plan. I don't want a green-green summer scene - mostly because green is a really hard colour to paint! Now I'm thinking of more muted, early spring colours. Grass starting to grow, but the background trees still somewhat grey. What do you think?


These two foals you may or may not remember from two years ago. On the right is Billy, who is currently home from the racetrack for a little rest. On the left, none other than Gracie. Gracie is in her very early days of the racehorse thing - after starting the basics with me here, last week I took her to a nearby training centre to further her education. I'm unable to be there every day myself, so I've enlisted the help of my friends at the training centre to fill in. Last night I went to see her. It's a good feeling to see a youngster show that she does know what you taught her, when someone else works with her! Yesterday she was just doing some free-longing - something I just don't have the room for. The photo isn't great, but she's such a pretty girl, I'm going to show her off anyway!

2 comments:

Karen Hargett said...

This is cute - nothing more precious. Why not add a few spring wildflowers in the mix? I'm sure it will be great whatever you do.

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks Karen. We usually see dandelions first in the spring, so that might be an idea!