Saturday, April 04, 2009

Opening Day!



Well, as far as I know, there's no song title by that name, but I had to go with a racing-themed painting for today's assignment. This is from a photo I took a few years ago on opening day at Woodbine - thanks to Clever, I'm not there today, but at least Sun TV has a Woodbine Post Time show, so I'm able to watch four races on the card. It sure looks cold, and with that wind it must be brutal, so maybe it's just as well I watched from in front of the easel. My big lens is still away at Canon waiting for a diagnosis, though I did get my camera back today(jumping up and down), so I wouldn't have been taking photos anyway.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull this off to my satisfaction - it's not perfect, but I'm content enough with how it turned out, especially considering I started right with brush to panel and of course was working entirely wet into wet. I used the usual limited palette, and worked on a Fredrix linen panel. The size is 12 x 16, which is a bit larger than I usually do for these daily paintings, but I figured I'd have enough of a challenge without trying to work small!

I'm not going to list this one on Etsy - it's larger than I can ship inexpensively, and it's also going to take some time to dry with such blatant use of Cadmium Red and Titanium White. I might not be able to stop myself from doing one or two finishing touches once this is dry, too.

That's it for today! See you tomorrow!

No comments: