Saturday, April 18, 2009

Another Saturday Afternoon (not) at the Races


Three weeks in a row now I've been able to watch a few of the Saturday afternoon races from Woodbine on Sun TV. I guess that wouldn't seem like a big deal to those of you out there with satellite, but we still have old-fashioned TV at our house! And, once again I've done a racehorse painting. This chestnut Thoroughbred was leaving the paddock for one of the races last Labour Day.

This painting is 8 x 10 oil on masonite, and I stuck to the limited palette again. I've been wondering why all of a sudden I'm having trouble working on masonite, and I think I've figured it out. My studio is in the basement, and when it's cold, I have a heater on. With the warmer weather, the heater doesn't need to kick in, and the air down here must be a little damper. That means my initial layers don't dry as quickly as I'm expecting them to, and it's causing me problems! Guess that means I'd better get the dehumidifier out, and hopefully that will help!

3 comments:

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Super job Linda! You can feel the intensity of movement! Glad you were able to watch the races on T.V. lately :)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Really like this one Linda has a lovely feel to it, much like the soft connection between jockey and horse. Had intended being at the Scottish Grand National yesterday but don't do so good in crowds now so watched it on TV. Was a double edged sword made me realise what I was missing, brilliant sunshine, vibrant colours and big shadows, the paintings I could have done by being there. Slap my wrists.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

This piece is simply stunning!