Thursday, February 26, 2009

Six Months Till Saratoga!


It's not really that unusal for me to be thinking of Saratoga this time of year. Let's face it, anything that distracts from the Canadian winter is a good thing. I think this time last year I was working on another painting taken from photos I shot on this same trip. Today I sat (and alternatingly stood) in front of Medaglia D'Oro again.

First thing I have to say about this painting is, I'm loving the Artfix linen. I've had my struggles with this surface in the past, but I think adhering it to masonite is making a big difference for me. I'll certainly be preparing more of these linen panels. It was so simple, now I'm wondering why it took me so long to try. I really didn't expect it to work as well, and as easily, as it did. This one is just 8 x 10, so I'll have to look at trying some larger panels.


Today I started with the horse, working up some of the shape with Burnt Umber a bit so he was reasonably established before I started blocking in some colour. I started loosely with the background, blocked in the groom, and then worked up the horse a bit further. I stopped where you see it in the second progress image. While I probably could have worked on it a little more, I was just feeling like I'd like to let it dry a bit before continuing. Because the horse is a little further along than some of the other elements, I'd like to bring some of the rest of it up to speed and that will go a lot better when things are dry.

The weather hinted kindly of spring today - though rain is predicted for tomorrow. It's almost March - the end to winter is in sight!

3 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Linda how did you fix your linen to the board...had the linen been primed before you put it on. I buy my linen by the metre and it arrives folded I then roll it onto a tube but it still has creases which can still be there even when it's been stretched on the stretcher pieces. They don't come out until it's been primed. Quite like the idea of putting linen on small panels, small seems to be the way to go at the moment :)
Like the new piece your working on having him off centre gives the impression of him stepping forward.

Linda Shantz said...

Hi Elizabeth! I've done a bit of research on making panels like this, and book binders glue, which is acid free, was recommended. I sanded the masonite, used a foam brush to paint on a layer of the glue, then positioned the piece of linen (yes, already primed) on top and smoothed it. It was already adhering really well, but I put it face down on a clean surface and put a stack of magazines on top and left it for the day. I'm really happy with how it worked out! I know some people use a roller to smooth it out once it's on the board.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Linda might have a try myself :))