Sunday, September 03, 2006

re: Falling off the edge of the earth...


Okay, so I've been known to do it from time to time. And I know I'm not alone in this. I had an email from who I still consider to be my best friend yesterday – it had been long enough that this time I was sure I'd done something to scare her off! Fortunately, it was just some mismanagement of her inbox on her part. Stuff happens, especially when dealing with the internet. I wonder sometimes if spam will one day shut down the whole email thing! Can you imagine, going back to snail letters and phone calls? :-)

That's actually how Sheri and I met – we were pen pals as teenagers. We had too much in common, I guess, for it not to click! Horses (especially Thoroughbreds), writing, drawing – that's where it all started. One year on the way back from Florida, I went home via her place – not the first time we'd met, but I think it was the first time I'd been to her place. We made an effort over those few days to go visit Northern Dancer, who at the time was still alive, pensioned at the former Windfields Farm in Maryland. From photos that day I did a pencil drawing that I made into my first limited edition print. Looking back it's a very crude drawing, but young artists have rather high expectations for their work, and I was no exception! Sheri has one of those prints framed.

This year, of course, I did a painting of ND from those same photos (or at least inspired by them!). You've seen the painting. I mailed a small print of the painting off to Sheri, as she'd been there way back when! I called it a late birthday present. I won't tell you how old she is (partly because she's just six months older than me!).

Anyway...all this to say, yes, I realise I'd fallen off the blogger face of the earth! Sheri asked me what's been going on...I figured it was too much to throw at her in one email, so I warned her there would be more. Where do I begin? Summer is almost over, sadly, and has it ever flown by. Suffice to say it's been busy. Like my first email reply to Sheri, this has already been long enough, but I certainly can't leave a post without a picture of some sort, can I? My latest finished painting deserves a post of its own, so I can't use that. Instead, I'll post one I just gave a little facelift to.

This is "New Promise", one of my entries for this year's HTA Exhibition in October. Another bit of news that's surfaced in the last few months – both the pieces I entered were accepted. This one is an oil pastel, about 13 x 16....

No comments: